Wednesday, November 28, 2012

You Are Beautiful

Dearest Jessie,
                You and I are 13 years apart. When you were born I wasn’t sure how to deal with a sister who has Down syndrome. I was barely used to having any siblings and was not a fan of children. I was angry mom didn’t tell me about you sooner, I was angry she didn’t want you at first, and I was angry when the doctor offered her an abortion.
 I didn’t understand when you were in the hospital for three months and I wasn’t allowed to see you. But when you were brought home you just looked chubby. You didn’t look different or abnormal. You didn’t seem slower than the other kids your age until about this year.
I still don’t understand what you say 90% of the time. I get frustrated and impatient with you for numerous reasons. And I’ll admit I still don’t know how to act around you or how lightly I should treat you. But I will always stand by you.  I raged at the 6 year old neighbor boy that called you funny looking and I would do it again to anyone that puts you down. To me Jessie, you are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment