Sunday, December 2, 2012

These Things


Its December again and nothing has changed. I want to unwind and kill the clock inside my head. How did I come to think this was fine? I don’t want to wait until I die to see a new horizon.

 If he were here he would call me out. Say that I am vindicated. Make me aware of my afflictions, my latest mistakes. He would tell me to plaster that fake smile to the wall and set my unnatural on the top shelf, a little to the left. I know it’s all a lie but I want it to be true. I ignore all these things just so I can sleep at night; ashamed of these things.

 I want that one day of comfort. I want to take off my thick covering and say 'here I am' without sheepishly turning away. I used to be paranoid of getting lost and now I’m paranoid of being found.

While contemplating the words I should say to him, I’m thinking of all the places I don’t belong. I see the brake lights and stop signs and I’m dreading the crash that will wake me up.  
I check the watch on my wrist to avoid eye contact with him. He’s there in between the shadows that hold my struggles and the horizon that could actually be worthwhile. I want to be something that’s more than what’s expected. I want to be real.



1 comment:

  1. dear d,

    you may never see this

    but thank you

    that letter

    it meant so much

    you brought back so many different feelings. like, I still teach this class. but sometimes I wonder if I teach it the way I used to. 2012 was like the pinnacle in some ways. I know I've gotten better in some ways, but there was something about authentic about way back when

    your letter brought me so much joy

    I'm so happy for you

    keep writing, keep thinking, keep figuring it all out

    you deserve all the good things coming your way

    kyle nelson

    ReplyDelete