Thursday, October 4, 2012

Hello Life? It's me.


So here’s the thing, you’re unpleasant. I’m going to be straight up I think you’re bipolar. I think you are too high and mighty to manipulate, too critical. You make me a little uneasy, a little insecure.

 I’m knocking on your mahogany hand carved door asking for a break, maybe some time off. But you being “the boss” tell me to suck it up and keep going. You tell me to push through my shift, stay positive, and keep working hard.

How do you expect me to stay positive? My feet hurt; I’m tired, and am almost to the point where I enjoy complaining about it.

But then after that shift you decide to hand me a drink and give me that $0.10 raise as a pick-me-up. Then awkwardly mention, after I thank you, that I’ll need to pay for the drink that is now opened and half empty. Empty like my pocket because you just took back the $0.10 raise you gave me.
This is because you are a bastard. Without you I’d be homeless so instead I frown, maybe shed a tear from your impoliteness.

The point to this is that I’m sincerely asking you to ease up and give me the drink, free of charge.

 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. I love the opening line. You just get right into it.

    The conversation seems real and natural. And I forget that I'm reading a letter to Life.

    Favorite line: knocking on the door, asking for some time off. Life as the boss.

    ReplyDelete